Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Battery drain, battery dead in morning. Jumped. drive

Customer Question

battery drain
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: battery dead in morning. Jumped. drive around. about 2 hours. dead again. Battery charged by auto shop. battery dead in morning. found out it has a 4.86 Amp drain.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: possibly\
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: its 1998 with a wheel chair ramp.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ted G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, what is needed in this situation is what is called a Parasitic Draw test. Using an ammeter installed between the battery and the battery cable, you remove one fuse at a time until the draw drops below .1 amps (normal). What ever is fed by the fuse that causes the drop is your problem. Occasionally you may also have to pull relays also if none of the fuses causes the drop.