Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2009 Routan (caravan). The door open light has been

Customer Question

Hello Don,
I have a 2009 Routan (caravan). The door open light has been coming on when the door is closed. Sometimes goes off when the door is open. opening and closing of rear doors had no affect. Drivers door appears to have an effect..for example when the door open light went out when i opened that door. I once slammed the door and the open door light on the dash went out, but when the lowspeed auto lock (16mph?) locked the door the open light illuminated as did the interior. Latch or wire?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like an electrical fault with the door position switch itself.This switch sends a signal on if the door is opened or closed and can fail and is usually part of the door latch itself needing replaced.I suspect the drivers door latch with what you have described as well as with what is occuring here.I would have this checked/tested further to see if for sure this is the cause here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,
Thank you for your help.
THe Vehicle is a routan so just think dodge caravan.
Is the position switch in the latch assembly itself? I often take things apart and repair. Is it possible to take apart and clean the contacts of the switch? OR is this one of those units that breaks when you try to open and therefor must be swapped out with new?
To rule out any wire short, I assume the 3 or 4 wires that go to the latch, if metered, should not show continuity to ground?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My info does show on a caravan it is part of the latch and it doesnt show me which wires feed the switch or how it is controlled.I havent tried to take one of these apart myself to repair it so its hard to say if this can be done.Usually I just replace the latch itself to correct this fault here.It is usually either switched to ground with the door closed or opens from ground with the door closed.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram for a routan / caravan 2009 drivers door?
I am thinking that if the front door sensor goes to ground when open then I could cut the position sensor wire and tape it.
The driver doesnt need a light to know his door is open so fooling the bcm into thinking it is closed should be ok. Plus cutting and taping is easier than removing the entire guts from the door (including glass) just to get to the latch assembly. Locking function actuates perfectly so I think the rest of the lock unit is fine and it is just the sensor. Wiring diagram?
Thanks,
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The driver doesnt need a light to know his door is open so fooling the bcm into thinking it is closed should be ok. Plus cutting and taping is easier than removing the entire guts from the door (including glass) just to get to the latch assembly. Locking function actuates perfectly so I think the rest of the lock unit is fine and it is just the sensor. Alernatively I could ground the wire if opening the door closes the circuit.... Wiring diagram?
Thanks,
Adam
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Here is the diagram for the latch on this model here for the door position signal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuip1c2qm6zuozp/lat-03-30.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alernatively I could ground the wire if opening the door closes the circuit....
Thanks,
Adam
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I think you can ground it for a closed signal but it doesnt tell me for sure.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** way around..
Adam
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure if you received my last replied here let me know if you did not.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pete i did receive the diagram. Thank you.
Looks like the open door would logically ground the circuit..since that is a momentary state. I'll cut the pink wire. and see what happens. If I am wrong I can just solder back together. I'll let you know what happens.
Adam
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,
According to the diagram the sensor wire was solid color and the others were striped. The colors were slightly different but I cut the solid wire and it worked perfectly. The car now thinks the door is always shut. The interior lights usually turn on and the radio turns off when door is opened. Now they dont however, those function do occur with the remaining doors. Operationally it matters little as the radio times out a minute or so after the key is removed and the interior lights turn on with the activation of the remote unlock. Thanks again for your help.
Adam
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete