sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

The car started overheating I changed the thermostat

Customer Question

Hi the car started overheating I changed the thermostat everything seemed ok my daughter said she heard the coolant boiling and the car shut off after a few moments it started no problem today she was driving it and it cut off no boiling coolant and the gauge was normal tried to restart it it turns but won't turn over - tried a jump still won't turn over what could be the issue thanks
JA: OK. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it's simple yes
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: That's all I know at this point
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

Hello, does the engine crank when you turn the key to start it? by crank i mean does the starter engage and does the engine make noise like it wants to start?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it does
Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

ok, now does she remember if it just shut off or if it slowly died?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It shut off she thought it was still running but went to give it gas and it wouldn't move
Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

ok so that to me tells the difference between a fuel issue and a sensor issue, so now what year and model and engine do you have?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's a 2004 Chrysler pt cruiser
Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

ok, somehow i knew it would be :)

so if you get in the car and close the door you can cycle the ignition key 3 times fast and then leave it on the 3rd time and the dash should display fault codes. can you try that?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok i'm away from the car now but she said when she tried to start the engine light flashed on and off
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Could it be the cam sensor since the coolant could have gotten it wet?
Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

ok, the codes i am looking for will be engine codes that you would find with a scan tool but chrysler has a fast way of finding them. as for the cam sensor yes, it could very well be the cam sensor or the crank sensor. i was looking for a code to confirm that

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok I have to go is there a way that I can reach u when I get to the car?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Are u there?
Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

you can keep replying here

Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

you can get the site on your smart phone as well, just send yourself the link

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok I'll do that thanks
Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

the car should be able to be started if you unplug the sensor and try and start it.

Expert:  Lou P replied 12 months ago.

any luck?

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may receive my credit for assisting you. Thank you.

Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi I just got the car towed to the house, where is the sensor?
Expert:  Lou P replied 11 months ago.

if you are staring at the engine, it is on the right side at the back of the head,. its a square sensor right where the camshaft would be . ill send a picture over as well

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok ty, so I removed it but it did not start 😩 could it be the battery?
Expert:  Lou P replied 11 months ago.

sorry for the delay , i meant to unplug the sensor, see if the car starts, there are 2 sensors that affect starting and they both actually run off of the same power supply, the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. let me opt out maybe another expert can help bettter , Lou P.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you for all your help thus far I'll see if I can have a mechanic look at the car ty
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first step in diagnosing the issue is to check for fault codes. Have you done so yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the car is immobile so we couldn't take it to get codes - I had the car towed to the mechanic from the car lot to have it looked at - someone thinks it's the alternator and battery

I thought the starter engaged but the engine didn't start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
True the starter turned and sounds like it will start but it doesn't

The problem can't be a dead battery if the engine cranks, and the alternator couldn't cause a no start condition unless it failed and you continued to drive until the battery died.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so what could it be

There are dozens of things that will cause a crank/no start situation. It could be the cam sensor, crank sensor, powertrain control module, the coil, ASD relay, improper cam timing, the coil, fuel pump, fuel quality, a restricted catalytic converter, fuel quality; it's going to take some testing to determine what is going on starting with seeing if any fault codes are set, checking for spark and fuel pressure. If the problem happened after overheating then the issue may be a failed water pump and now the timing belt is broken or has jumped, or depending on the severity of the overheating there may be internal engine damage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wow ok thank you all of it sounds expensive 😱 It's with the mechanic now waiting on them to tell me what the problem is

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok

Thanks!