sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2009 Chrysler Sebring convertible ,top started to go down

Customer Question

2009 Chrysler Sebring convertible ,top started to go down and stopped when it was partway open and wouldn't open any more. pushed button to close and it closed but the top wouldn't latch down in place. I get a message that top is in operation , when I push button in down
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: When I push button down nothing happens and I get a message of top malfunction .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: I want to repair it myself if i can.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're seeing a top malfunction message it's because the power top control module has seen an issue that could cause damage, has set a fault code and suspended operation.

The problem may be mechanical or electrical. If a mechanical problem is preventing a component from moving correctly, a microswitch has failed or there is a switch wiring issue then it will stop operation. The PTCM monitors the state of all components during operation using microswitches.

If no visible problems are found then you can try a battery disconnect to see if that helps. If not then a scan tool will need to be used to see what fault codes are setting and go from there.