Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

Badly corroded brake tubing on my Plymouth Voyager 1998,

Customer Question

Badly corroded brake tubing on my Plymouth Voyager 1998, with 145K, and in pretty good shape rust wise. A week ago, approaching a red light, I lost the brakes. The Van was towed home, and i found one brake tube (galvanized steel tubing ) broke. The two tubes from master cylinder to equalized valve, has in the middle an 10 in. long piece of stainless steel flex tubing, for whatever reason. The corrosion at the meeting point is brutal. The same with tubes attached to the aluminum body equalizer valve, the corrosion is really bad closest to the valve, and more like normal farther back. I think this is a bad design, not giving thought to the chemical reaction when joining different metals. I can not find any recall for this. Aarno Pehkonen
What do you think ?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

To be honest, that corrosion looks normal if you live in the Rust Belt, along the coast, or where the roads are salted in the winter. I have seen many of these rust due to the environmental conditions, but none due to the design. I now live in SD and we dont salt the roads in the winter, instead using sand, I have yet to see these lines rusted out here.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks