Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I hope your ready one, I've already went through a bottle of

Customer Question

Hi pearl, I hope your ready for this one, I've already went through a bottle of Tylenol. Lol.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2005 chrysler 300c 5.7l hemi. Give me a sec, alot has happened in the last 2wks, I've spent about 4hrs a day trying to figure it out. Let me try to start from the beginning and try to make sense at the same time...........
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm going to try with your help.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: 2weeks ago my wife told me about a dinging sound when she drives down the road and she also mentioned the door courtesy lights wont go off, ever, they never go off, selector switch is turned down, all doors closed, no ajar door warning, and it's just the front doors, not interior domelight, she also mentioned the burnt rubber smell and smoky haze that you can barely see rising from under the hood toward the windshield, you have to really pay attention to see it, but it's there, so I said I'll check it out 2days went by and the battery was dead the morning she had to go to work, I jumped her off and it lasted 8hrs at her job but went dead the next morning so I told her take my truck so I could try to figure it out, went to check the battery in the trunk and my trunk release button not wor*****, *****'t have the key fob because I bought this car last year used, so I had to go through the back seat to open trunk, checked all the fuses in the front and rear panel, changed out a couple of bad ones but no change in anything, so I bought a multimeter and did an amp test on the fuse ports to figure out where it is draining from, #5 fuse port in the front, pulled that fuse and that turned off my door lights and panel & signal lights(that's all that I notice, don't know what else it controls) then did a few more test with the multimeter and it was leaning towards a bad alternator, took it up to orielys and did alternator test, they said diodes passed but output failed, so I had to go to Louisiana and couldn't get the alternator at the time, it did good on the trip there except my ac just cut off(not completely but started blowing soft and air not as cold) I turned it off for an hour and it started working like normal, but to my destination and the next morning my car started without a jump, but the dinging noise would still come on, so I thought maybe it's OK now but the morning after we got home which is yesterday, it needed to be jumped AGAIN! So today I said I'm just going to get an alternator from autozone, got there and he said I have the wrong kind of battery, cold cranks were only 600 and I'm supposed to have more, he showed me in the computer the kind of batteries that go into it and I went ahead and paid the $180, which hurt because I'm laid off, put it in and nothing changed as far as door lights, dinging sound, trunk release. So I guess we'll see if it will start in the morning with this new battery, I'm so frustrated, I find this threadhttp://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/38sbq-interior-lights-wont-go-300c-none-doors.html but it did not work. PLEASE HELP, by the way there are some fuses in slots in the rear panel that show not being used in the manual.
JA: Our top Chrysler Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chrysler Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chrysler Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh yeah, navigation system disabled by the last owner, screen doesn't even come on, seems like the lcd is bad.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alternator test was while on car, haven't done bench test yet.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If anything after market has been wired into the vehicle in some cases this can cause this fault here like an after market remote start or alarm system.If you have one of these installed try removing it temporarily and see if this resolves the fault here.If it does then the after market component either needs removed or replaced.If it does not have any of these here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I bought it used last year, I think the previous owner had a stereo system,and the are screens head rest that don't work, found out last night the wrong kind of battery was in it, too small, so I bought a 180 dollar one, went talk to my dad's friend that works oreilly this morning and he said the alternator passed on all test, he thinks it's the body control module, if it is because of aftermarket wiring, it looks as if he put almost everything back stock, my navigation system display never would display anything, screen just black, he said he thinks the guy before him might have had a toggle switch for the sound system and DVD, to be honest with you, I don't know where to start with a little bit of money.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Well with the after market components that were installed here the first thing I would do is trace and check wiring and anything that looks after market remove it and if you see anything factory disconnected where the after market wiring spliced in re connect it and see if this corrects the fault here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
K, thanks, ***** ***** to go to class, (ironically :troubleshooting engineering class) then I'll try it, take some pictures and send it to you because the wiring I checked to see if it had any shorts or arcing looked stock but maybe you can tell
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I may be able to tell here if you send pictures of any wiring in question and the area of the wiring (a close up picture then zoom out somewhat and snap a picture).

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
K, I'm driving now, keep hearing those random 2 - ding... Ding.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Is this the same as if you left your lights on or key in the ignition and opened the door when the vehicle is turned off?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same sound only 2 dings
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Boiiim... Boim. Lol
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,I know sometimes trying to explain the noises looks funnier when you type it.

If you cycle the head light switch off and on or wiggle the key at all does the noise stop?Check and make sure the emergency brake is fully released as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My e brake does seem to engage on its own from time to time, still dinging though and door lights still on, check engine light just came on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
By the way my rear fuse panel had some corrosion, I cleaned it all up though
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,the dinging and door lights coming on are indicating that one of the door switch signals is sending a signal the door is opened even though it isnt.This sensor is usually part of the door latch itself and is most common with the drivers door itself as it is the latch that is used the most and wears out faster.I suspect the drivers door latch needs replaced to correct the light and dinger issues and may also correct any battery drain issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I told you.... You need a bottle of Tylenol for this one. Lol. My wife is making it worse, like I can snap my fingers and have it fixed
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I hear you on that.

If you didnt see my last post take a peek at it.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, I'm driving
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where would the sensor on the door be located
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what about the trunk release button going out about the same time?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

On this model the sensor looks to be located as part of the door latch itself that latches the door closed.The trunk release may be a separate issue with the release button itself at fault.Unfortunately it can be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause from here without further testing to be sure but this is what it sounds like from here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm out of class, when I get home in gon to take some pics and send them over
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete