Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Its like it has a bad selinoid or bad connections ive

Customer Question

its like it has a bad selinoid or bad connections ive changed the starter checked the fuses and relays and even changed the ignition switch dont know what else would cause it to do that will a bad crank sensor do that
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed the starter, ignition switch checked the battery relays and fuses
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: it acts like the engine is froze up but then after trying it for 10 min it will finally start and run fine its got me baffled
JA: Our top Chrysler Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chrysler Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chrysler Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Are you saying that the starter only works occasionally?

If so, now would be a good time to invest in an inexpensive multi-meter or at least a 12 volt test light and do some testing instead of replacing parts.

When you get or if you already have a multi-meter with voltmeter, or at least a 12 volt test light, let me know the year, model and engine, manual or auto trans so I can get the wiring diagram and tel you what to test.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no im getting power to the starter for a split sec then i loose it thought for sure it was the contacts in the selinoid could a bad crank sensor be telling the computer not to turn over
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

No, a crank sensor is for the injectors or sometimes the ignition but not the starter.

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If not, let me know when you do and also let me know the year, model and engine, manual or auto trans so I can get the wiring diagram and tell you what to test.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i have both its an 06 dodge stratus auto tranny 2.4 l
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Great. First of all, here is the wiring diagram.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Now, with your voltmeter or 12 volt test light, test for voltage at these spots. Remove the starter relay and check the spots in the socket for voltage. One spot should be hot all the time and an additional hot when the key is turned to start.

Let me know the results of those 2 tests.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok with my volt meter theres one slot with 12 volts key off with key on the same slot is the only one with juice and according to my meter only 11 volts
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

You are testing it wrong. Key off should be one hot, then with the key on start, there should be an additional hot.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok ur right there is an additional socket with 11.8 volts when the key is held in the start position
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, put the relay back in and try if the starter works now. You are going to have to catch this thing in the act of not working.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
didnt work didnt make any difference
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

that was not a fix but a test

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok what next
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I was out.

Like I said before, you have to catch it in the act and be able to test it while it's acting up.

When you put the relay back in, did the starter crank when you turned the key to start?

If the answer is yes, you will have to wait until the key on start does not cause the starter to crank, then test it while it's not working.