Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2001 pt cruiser. can i get the remove and replace

Customer Question

2001 pt cruiser .
can i get the remove and replace instructions for replacing the ignition cylinder please .
my key comes right out while it in accessory mode and has lead to me leaving the radio and what ever else on all night.
thank you
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 11 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

LOCK KEY CYLINDER

The lock cylinder is inserted in the end of the housing opposite the ignition switch. The ignition key rotates the cylinder to 5 different detentes Ignition Lock Cylinder Detentes :

• Accessory
  • Off (lock)
  • Unlock
  • On/Run
  • Start.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
  2. Place key cylinder in RUN position. Through the hole in the lower shroud, depress lock cylinder retaining tab and remove key cylinder.

INSTALLATION

1. Install key in lock cylinder. Turn key to run position (retaining tab on lock cylinder can be depressed)
  2. The shaft at the end of the lock cylinder aligns with the socket in the end of the housing. To align the socket with the lock cylinder, ensure the socket is in the Run position socket in lock housing.
  3. Align the lock cylinder with the grooves in the housing. Slide the lock cylinder into the housing until the tab sticks through the opening in the housing.
  4. Turn the key to the Off position. Remove the key.
  5. Connect negative cable to battery.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks .
why do you think i can pull the key out in accessory position ,.??
Expert:  Brad replied 11 months ago.

It's most likely a bad cylinder...

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
wow. that sounds reallt easy .
time wise about half hour .??or less
Expert:  Brad replied 11 months ago.

Yes around 30 min or so..

Have a great day,

Brad