Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 and the ETC light has come on

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have a 2012 Chrysler 200 and the ETC light has come on twice in approximately the past 2 weeks. I am able to reset it so the light comes off by cycling the ignition with the car in park. A couple of things I have noticed, both times it happened was when it was colder outside and the sounds exhaust coming out of the tailpipe was like a puttering sound. I also noticed that my gas pedal does not seem to be responsive and even.... can you help?, I am a single female and am afraid to take it to the dealership or mechanic without a clue?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when the ETC light is on there is no response by stepping on the gas pedal, the car remains on but it is like its in neutral
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

have you pulled the fault codes?

you will need a good code reader to pull codes, the ETC warning can come on for literally hundreds of reasons and will set a fault in the engine computer

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No .. Am unfamiliar with any of this. Where/how can I get them?
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

you can go to a parts store like autozone or advance auto parts and they can read the codes for you, once you get them I can guide you further, but be aware the ETC or electronic throttle control is a safety system and is not something that can be "reset" it MUST be repaired properly, or you can have a runaway situation, newer cars since about the late 90's on some models and everything since 2008 DO NOT use traditional throttle cables to control the throttle, it's ALL electronic and all your pressing on is a resistor that tells the engine computer what you want to do, so if there is a fault the system is designed to default to NO response or LIMITED response for your safety