Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

My name is ***** ***** 2005 chrysler town and country,

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2005 chrysler town and country, wipers come on at random and only shut of if I disconnect the battery or unplug the pigtail by the battery
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've read where some peoples wipers turn on with turn signals, this is not my case... I don't drive it a lot but it happened to me Friday if I had to guess after a hit a small bump in the road... Unhooked battery to stop them now it's happening to my wife all the time since last night while she was on a dirt road and she unplugs the pigtail located by battery to stop them.... Plug it back in and they continue
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

There are a few possibilities for this concern. It could be caused by a faulty Park Switch in the Wiper Motor assembly, it could be a wiring issue with the wiper park circuit or it could be an internal problem with the BCM (Body Control Module).

There are a couple ways that it can be diagnosed. The best way would begin by scanning the BCM. This module can only be accessed by a capable scanner. A "Generic" OBDII scanner doesn't have the capability to communicate with the BCM. You may also be able to diagnose it if you have a Multi Meter and a 12 Volt Test Light to check a few things.

If you have access to these tools and basic hand tools and want to fix this yourself, let me know, I'll gather some wiring diagrams and connector pin charts and for a small fee can step you through a procedure to get this figured out..

Let me know if interested, either way, I can post wiring diagrams for you here if needed. Let me know and I'll be happy to gather this info for you. I'll need the last 8 digits of the VIN so I can gather the correct wiring diagrams for you...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What issue would a capable scanner show?
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

A capable scanner would be able to retrieve the stored codes in the BCM. These codes will help us narrow down the CORRECT circuit that is causing the problem. This would be the best starting point to go to the failing part of the circuitry in the wiper circuit. Other than that, we would start with a Multi Meter and Test Light and begin by testing the Wiper Park Circuit as the second best starting point...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Here is a couple pages from the Body Diagnostic procedures showing some of the codes that can be retrieved from the BCM relating to the Wiper Circuit. These codes help narrow down the diagnosis that would be necessary to find the root cause...

CLICK HERE

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert