Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a town and country Chrysler 2008 model 4.0 litre

Customer Question

I have a town and country Chrysler 2008 model 4.0 litre engine every time I drive my vehicle over 55-60 mph and over when I come to a stop the vehicle vibrates and stalls I have changed spark plugs,coil,camshaft sensor cleaned EGR valve, body throttle and are having the same problem. Could you advise how can solve this problem?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common issue when driving at or over this speed then coming to a stop and this occuring is a fault with either the transmission torque converter lock up solenoid in the transmission sticking on causing the torque converter to stay engaged which will put a load on the engine at low speeds or at a stop and will stall out the engine or an issue with the transmission torque converter itself.

The transmission torque converter solenoid and the torque converter itself will have to be checked/tested to locate which is the cause here and then from there repaired to correct this.Most common is the solenoid itself in most all cases needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when I drive under 50 mph and comes to a stop I have no problem. If I go over 60 mph and slows down the vehicle to about 40 mph to 30 mph I do not have problem. Could this be the torque converter also.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

It is very possible this is still the transmission torque converter itself at fault here.I have seen it fail as well as the control solenoid and in some cases just debris build up in the transmission valve body needing flushed out.I would have this checked further to see if a flush will correct this fault or if the torque converter.torque converter solenoid or valve body need replaced to correct this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is the control solenoid inside the transmission or on the outside?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

It is located inside the transmission on the transmission valve body itself.

Thanks Pete