Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

May 1996 Chrysler Sebring convertible with a 2.4 liter

Customer Question

May 1996 Chrysler Sebring convertible with a 2.4 liter engine idles rough and sometimes cuts off at stop light flash stop sign just put a map sensor on it yesterday it ran fine now it's doing the same thing again what could it be
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. This condition is most likley caused by an air or a vacuum leak.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I would start by checking around the intake and throttle body and gaskets first. Also, check for any hoses or vacuum lines that are leaking and repair or replace any as needed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Another thing you can do is check the engine vacuum with a hand held vacuum gauge. This will tell you if the engine is breathing good. If the vacuum is low or unstable, this indicates a vacuum leak or a base engine mechanical issue that needs to be addressed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** on take off for it to cut out at 4000 rpms like it's hitting rev limiter?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Another possible cause would be a bad idle air control motor or a dirty throttle body. If there are no air or vacuum leaks, then I would clean the throttle body and then go after the IAC motor located on the side of the throttle body. When you clean the throttle body, be sure to get the complete inside throttle bore as well as both sides of the throttle plate (top and bottom)

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

A base engine mechanical problem can in fact cause it to cut off like a rev limiter. For exmaple, if the timing belt is loose or has jumped time it will do just this.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

This happens because the cam and crank signals back to the computer are out of sync becuase the engine is just slightly out of time and the computer gets confused causing the engine to cut out

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Another possible cause would be a plugged exhaust system so be sure to check that as well

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Also, be sure that the EGR valve is not stuck open as this can cause an internal vacuum leak.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

You welcome!

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Please dont forget to rate

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

:)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If it's in timing it should act up all the time it only does it every now and then it's not consistent
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I would agree. However, I would still check into it just to be sure. I have seen stranger things working on cars for 15 years.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

It is possible that the cam and or crank sensor is starting to go bad intermittantly too. However, if this were the case, usually the engine does not start. But it still can stall out at times if these sensors start to go bad.