Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

My car overheated and had some major changes done.. changed

Customer Question

Hello, my car overheated and had some major changes done.. changed the gasket, thermestat, crank and cam sensor, car module, and fan motor.. before it overheating, the car's engine was perfect.. no flaws.. now it seems to sputter or chocking when accelerating and also at a stop light with foot on the break.. without accelerating, it idles perfectly
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well it was at a mechanic already
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: i wont be doing it myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $11 after the Chrysler Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .

Give me the year model and engine fitted please so i can see what engine we are working with .

Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it's on .. 2005 sebring convertible touring 2.7 V6
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Okay first you need to check for malfunction codes ,

If you don't have the tools take a drive down to AutoZone or any other parts department and have a free code readout check done then get back to me with the malfunction code or codes .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I will do that so I won't have a response with that info until later.. Is it true that after changing the module I will need to drive for awhile to reset the computer? will that cause the sputtering etc?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
maybe the proper term is hesitating and misfiring just fyi
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Which module did you replace .

Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told it controls the fan to prevent heating.. Sorry i'm not sure but i can always verofy.
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Okay now i understand whats going on .

did you mean the head gasket was replaced .

if yes,was the cylinder head refurbished .

Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i believe so.. also, been told that's it's possibly an ignition coil. but can't be identified which one?
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Okay let get the malfunction codes first ,but looks like a head gasket but hard to say .

Do you have a list of all parts used when the head gasket was replaced .

Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
bad head gasket? it was just replaced. let me see what codes r showing cuz i believe the check engine light is off now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there are no codes now since the check engine light is off now
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Should still have malfunction codes stored in the system, even if the engine light is now off .

check for history codes but if the battery was disconnected will be gone .

If you still have a misfiring engine and bad idle you should get a P0300 code .

a cam / crank sensor code ,check the engine oil do you have clean oil or has it gone milky .

Compression test on all cylinders and give me the reading .

who did the head gasket ?

Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The check engine light just came on again.. sometimes it even flashes. . The cam and crank sensors were changed..engine oil was changed also.. the head gasket was done by a local mechanic..
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

If the check engine light is flashing then we have a misfire codes

You must have a P0300 or other misfire codes P0301 P0303 for example .

Sounds like a bad timing on the timing chain have this rechecked i would get your mechanic in to recheck

or was the engine running good when you picked it up ?

Check for codes take another drive to the tech and check for codes .

Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine was running good.. before it overheated .. ok we will check for codes. .. so ur thinking its the timing chain? At higher speeds like at 40 mph. Its less or less noticeable. . But at a stop light and starting to accelerate it misfires alot sometimes it feels like it will stall .
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Will know a lot more when you check for codes .

Timing is very possible the issue but lets see the codes first .

Greg