tracer5
tracer5, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L1, Shop Owner, Foreign and Domestic
13677702

My 2002 sebring lxi sedan has a rattling noise in the pully

Customer Question

my 2002 sebring lxi sedan has a rattling noise in the pully area. it has aslo started to act as if its overheating,I can see and hear the anti freeze in the reservoir bottle bioling but the temp. gauge is not saying its over heating do i need water pump
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: putting more anti freeze in and letting the car cool down
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: not at this point
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  tracer5 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Hard not being there looking but.. yes, form what you ars describing is a possible bad water pump, It could be failing and not circulating as well as it should, Unsure hwy guage says not hot but boiling in overflow, Could be coolant just is not circulating and real hot water is not contacting the coolant temp sensor so could? be getting a false reading, I would have the drive belt removed just to rule out the noise on a pulley, component etc and if noise is still present with drive belgt off? then yes, this is even more a lean to the water pump, I wish changing it was easier, It is not, sorry, It is by design, I have included a couple links showing how to change and so on, I lean to the pump, but have to do what I suggested as a minimum to help narrow down