Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1999 Chrysler Cirrus 2.5 V6, automatic. Car runs and drives

Customer Question

1999 Chrysler Cirrus 2.5 V6 , automatic. Car runs and drives fine, but intermittently loses power, dash lights come on and then returns to normal. When it does this, all the ECM monitors get reset as if the battery were disconnected or the DTC's got cleared. Any suggestions? I need to smog this car , but cannot get the monitor to set because of this.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you have not checked the battery connections at the battery as well as leading from the battery for any issues at all this needs done.Loose or corroded battery connections is common for this fault here.

One other component that can cause this fault here in some cases is a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch act up intermittently to where it will fail to send voltage signals through it intermittently and act like an engine shut down turning on the dash lights as well and then the signals can come back again and allow proper operation.

I would start with having these checked into/tested to see if any of these are found at fault here.If any are found to be an issue it will need repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the reply Pete. Car has a new battery and connection were wire brushed when I installed it. Regarding the ignition switch, I can see where that would cause an intermittent loss, but that would not reset the monitors, would it? Battery power to the ECM would remain, would it not?

Tom

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome.

Is the radio time or clock in your vehicle resetting as well when this occurs (if equipped)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Not sure. Let me get back to you on that.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.