Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a Chrysler 2005 town and country mini van. Perfect

Customer Question

hi, I have a Chrysler 2005 town and country mini van. Perfect engine then this weekend it would turn but not start and had to hve it towed home. can't fix until i figure out what is the probem. Please help!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the car won't start. checked the fuses and battery is still turning over but no ignition. I am a femal and my son is at work right now and he checked every thing he could think of
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common component that will cause this type of fault here when the engine will crank over but not start is the fuel pump itself.I have seen the fuel pump fail in the past before to where it will not pressurize the fuel rail and injectors with enough fuel pressure or no pressure at all.If the fuel pump pressure has not been tested this needs done to see if this is the cause here.If found to be at fault it will need replaced.If you need info on how to test this let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jason and thx. To check the fuel pump my son says he couldn't find the "fuel pressure valve". Do you know where it is?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

This is Pete.

Can you tell me if this has the 3.3 liter engine or the 3.8 liter engine installed?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete sorry don't know where I thought Jason was your . just bought spark plugs and the auto zone man said I had the American version motor
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

If you look under the hood there should be a sticker and it should show somewhere on that sticker the engine liter size.Can you check this for me so we can see if we can locate the test port?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
engine is a 3.8 VL6
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,your fuel pressure tested with a fuel pressure test gauge should read between 53 and 63 psi when the key is first turned on the first two seconds or when cranking over the engine.If any lower then this then I suspect the pump itself is at fault here.My info is not showing the location of a test port on this engine here.Usually if it has a test port it is on the fuel rail near the fuel injectors on top of the engine.If you can follow the fuel lines to the fuel rail look for a threaded test port with a schrader valve that a fuel pressure test gauge attaches to.If no test port is found then the fuel feed line from the fuel tank to the fuel rail needs removed to add an adapter to test pressure.You might be able to rent the test gauge and any adapter needed from a local parts store.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Pete, just spoke to my son and he said he can look at the fuel pump situation tomeorrow and will get back to you after he sees if he can figure it out from what you told us.
thx and will get back with you tomorrow.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good.

Thanks Pete