K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

2001 pt cruiser 30,000 mi. Can't keep water in it. Replaced

Customer Question

2001 pt cruiser 30,000 mi. Can't keep water in it. Replaced radiator cap and thermostat. Do I have to remove timing belt to replace water pump. Should I replace both
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i will if it's not too complicated. Have not noticed water leaking from anywhere. Tested radiator pressure, cap bad but radiator held pressure. Thought impeller might be bad
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: My granddaughter loves it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $11 after the Chrysler Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Hello, the timing belt does have to be removed to replace the water pump. I always suggest replacing them both together. It's very possible the pump seal is leaking. I'll post the info below on changing them out.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Follow ups concerning this are free even after you rate or accept.Thanks!