Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

My name is ***** ***** I just a bought a 2004 Chrysler

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I just a bought a 2004 Chrysler Sebring and the key is stuck in the ignition and won't come out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's basically it when I tried to turn the car off & take the key out it won't come out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Start first with making sure the shifter is completely in park and if so there is one thing you need to try by doing a reset on all Modules. To do this , disconnect both battery cables and run them together for a few seconds . After doing so retry the ignition lock and see if the key will now release. Let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok my friend and I just tried that and it still won't come out.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Are you able move the shifter back and forth to make sure its going all the way into park?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sir. I read this forum that had a couple different suggestions like to check the steering column we did everything but it still won't come out.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay then you are likely looking at a bad shift interlock cable. If its failed it will not allow the key to come out of the lock because the shifter is not complete in park. The cable is common to fail on your Sebring as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so what should I do?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Usually if the cable is bad it will need to be replaced.