Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I own a 2004 seabring conv. while driving the check engine

Customer Question

I own a 2004 seabring conv. while driving the check engine light came on and the car will not shift into overdrive what can cause this.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be caused by an internal electrical fault with a torque converter lock up solenoid or an issue with a shift solenoid as these are most common.This can also be caused by an internal mechanical fault in the transmission valve body as well needing replaced.

What will have to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.From there once this is done the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair the cause of the fault.You can get the codes checked by any repair shop or dealer and diagnosed.A local parts store like Auto Zone will usually read the codes free of charge for you as well but usually cannot diagnose the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete