Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

2006 base model PT Cruiser. Locks have acted up, but

Customer Question

2006 base model PT Cruiser. Locks have acted up, but yesterday, ran through carwash and locks now even lock/unlock without the key being on. I can lock the car and go into a store and can come back to find the car unlocked. Locks will activate without locks going down or up, but sometimes will actually activate and locks will come up or lock down.I have 167,00 miles and have kept car very well maintained. New battery one year ago.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: NO, don't have the tools or know how.
JA: OK! The Chrysler Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: Up to this point, car has been almost flawless.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible you may have gotten something wet causing the system to short out but before you do anything try rebooting the system. To do this, remove both battery cables and touch them together for 15-20 seconds. This will reboot all the vehicle modules. After doing so, recheck the lock operation and see if this resolves the problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried this yesterday in the morning. Temp, about 54. Drove car during the day without incident until about 2 pm. Went into store and when came out, the car was unlocked. Approx. drive home 25 minutes and locks cycled multiple times, sometime actually coming up and 3 times no movement. Is there a fuse I can pull to deactivate the RKM until I can have time to get this resolved? I need my car everyday for route work. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

The fuse that supplies power to the door locks comes from the #17 located in the under hood fuse panel but pulling it will likely affect other system so Im not sure pulling it will solve the locks. You can try pulling it and see but you are likely going to be better off to just disconnect negative battery cable until you can get it is to be checked.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ron,Give it up! You didn't help resolve my issue. You left me hanging with the second response, so you weren't any assistance at all. Now you try to sell me something. $26 for a phone call? And what's that going to do if you couldn't resolve my issue with an email.
I'm beginning to think this site is just a money grab.