sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire with the ABS and BAS/ESP

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire with the ABS and BAS/ESP dash lights on.I can not raise or lower the convertible roof as the spoiler is extended because of the
BAS/ESP light.I have been told that I need to replace the ABS control module and pump assembly
at a cost of $2250 for the part and labor. I have found a used module and pump assembly. Can It be installed on my car without having to program the module to my
car? Can I take the used ABS module off the used pump assembly and install on my
pump assembly without having to effect the hydraulic brake fluid system?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The VIN is automatically programmed along with configuration data when a new module is installed in a vehicle, and the original VIN and configuration data isn't something that can be altered in the field. Modules are not recommended to be swapped between vehicles and you'd likely have a VIN mismatch issue at the least if you tried to install a used module.

Any ABS module that is installed whether new or used is going to require initialization with a dealer scan tool for the system to operate.

The module can be replaced without disturbing any of the hydraulic components of the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What you are saying leaves me confused. First you said the module is automatically programmed then you said I would have
a VIN mismatch with a used module then you said that a new or used ABS module would require initialization with a dealer
scan tool. So does that mean that I could install a used module as long as I have the dealer initialize the module with their
scan tool?

The VIN is automatically programmed in a new module. If you installed a used module the original VINand coconfigurationccouldn't be altered. This isn't related to initialization.