K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

My power steering seems to have gone out in the middle of

Customer Question

My power steering seems to have gone out in the middle of driving during the snow. I checked and it's not the fluid. What other possibilities are there? I'm reluctant to just take it to a repair shop that may tell me the most expensive option...
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 9 months ago.

Hello, it could be belt slippage/broken belt (the alternator is ran by the power steering belt so if the charge light did not come on it is most likely OK), pump failure or rack failure.

Does it have any power assist at all if you raise engine speed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For small turns like roads veering but any substantial turn is a struggle
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the belt visible once the hood is lifted or would someone need to dig in for it?

The belt is visable when you open the hood, I'll post a diagram below.

With it having some assist the belt may just be slipping some. If the belt does not make any noise when turning the wheel at idle and does not look glazed (a slick looking appearance) then you will need to have a shop perform a pressure output test on it to determine if the pump or steering gear is bad.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You were right in the money! It was the belt! Getting taken care of as we speak! Thank you so much!

I'm very happy to hear that's all it was. If you would please take a moment to rate my service, thanks!