sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Yesterday i helped a friend jump start their car and on

Customer Question

yesterday i helped a friend jump start their car and on accident we shipped the positive and negative terminals. her engine smoked a little bit, and that's when we figured we had them wrong. now her horn, lights, radio, door locks, etc. aren't working. it's a 2004 dodge stratus sedan and i need to know if i need to replace a main fuse under the hood.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: there's a fuse box inside and a fuse box under the hood
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, in order to pull up the proper wiring diagrams, could you tell me which engine it has?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.4L, 4 cylinder
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Reversing polarity can instantly damage any electrical component or blow fuses. It's possible that one or more fuses are blown but it's also possible that the body control module has been damaged.

The radio and power locks not working are most likely being caused by a blown IOD fuse in the box inside.

Have all fuses in both boxes been checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We haven't checked them yet but I didn't want to waste my time replacing all of the little fuses because I don't have a fuse tester. How would we know if we messed up the body control module? Also, where would I find the iOD fuse on the car? Is that a dealer part?

You won't need to replace any fuses, just visually inspect each one if a test light isn't available.

The IOD fuse is in the box inside. Replacement fuses can be obtained from any parts store, Wal-Mart, etc.

Electrical testing will need to be done to diagnose each of the problems if fuses are found to be ok.