Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2002 pt cruiser turn signals and wipers 't work. Wiper fuse

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes 2002 pt cruiser turn signals and wipers don't work. Wiper fuse blows when replaced. I disconnected the wiper motor still bloss fuse. I have a build in place of the fuse and it is lit to full brightness so I know max current is being drawn. But why and where do I look
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for some misspells. Blows the fuse. I have a bulb in place of the fuse for testing only.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the wiring leading to the turn signal and wiper switch and make sure there are no shorts in the wiring.If the wiring is o.k. unplug the switches and see if the short still occurs.If it does not this can indicate the switch itself needs replaced.If this is or has been done and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pete, Thanks for responding. When I went to the garage today, I ran the test again, this time the fuse did not blow. Of course the car sat in the garage all night and most likely dried out. This proble started after a bad rain storm, so I assume a water leak causing a short. Question is where?..... Can you offer any suggestions based on past pt history where to look. Again the fuse was blowing when inserted with the turn signals off and the wiper off. this would seam to be a direct short, not a problem with water in a light since I assume would only have power when the switch was on that would cause the fuse to blow. c
Can you offer any insight. Thank you
Larry
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome.

Just to make sure this is fuse 15 which is a 20 amp fuse am I correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,this fuse powers these components:

Front wiper switch

Front wiper motor

Rear wiper switch

Rear wiper motor

I would start with unplugging the rear wiper motor to see if the fuse still shorts out.If it does not then the rear wiper motor needs replaced.If it does short out inspect the wiring leading to the rear wiper motor as this is one of the most common areas usually at the hinge area that the wiring will short out.Let me know what you come up with here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
pete, would this cause the fuse to blow even when everyhing is off. Is there pos voltage present at all times?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Yes as this fuse powers these components and the short has to be between the fuse and these components in order for this fuse to short out at any time key on or key off.The short will be from this fuse to one of these components listed above.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you I will check these items.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome.