sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My convertible top is not working, where can I get it fixed?

Customer Question

My convertible top is not working, where can I get it fixed? I live in Houston, TX
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have a convertible top repaired at most any shop. Any dealer would be able to do the work, most independent shops and body shops would also be perfectly capable and willing. Some modern tops though are controlled by modules which some independent or body shops may not have a scan tool that will communicate with it.

What year and model is the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 Chrysler Sebring

What problem are you having with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only go down 1/4 of the way

Does the pump continue to run when the top stops?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Are you seeing a warning message on the instrument cluster when it stops then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, the windows go all the way down, it attempts to open but stops less than 1/4 down, can you give me an estimated cost to repair?

Cost to repair it will depend on what is wrong. If the pump stops running then the module is stopping operation because of something it's seeing. The module watches a series of microswitches to know the state of each component during operation. In your case it's most likely seeing a switch in an incorrect state either due to mechanical failure, wiring, or a failed microswitch. This is something that a dealer may need to diagnose as many shops won't have the proper scan tool. If it's a switch failure then the cost to diagnose and repair it will probably be in the $2-300 range.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not bad depending on that being wrong with it. I know Chrysler dealership charger $200 just to see what's wrong with it

They would most likely charge .5 to 1 hour of labor to diagnose the issue, some shops have a one hour minimum charge. Some will diagnose an issue for free if you allow them to do the repair, it just depends on their policy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all your help Happy Valentines day

You're welcome and good luck with your car!