sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I'm ***** *****. 2001 Chrysler Town and Country liftgate

Customer Question

Hi. I'm ***** *****. 2001 Chrysler Town and Country liftgate won't open. When I hit button, alarm beeps, and then hear a ratcheting nose. Liftgate motor never starts. It won't close automatically if opened manually. Struts just replaced.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I meant to say after hearing beeps, I hear a ratcheting noise.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have several things going on. The problem is likely either with the drive assembly or the latch.

If you open it by hand does the latch release properly, and does it cinch properly when closing?

Is the latch where the ratcheting noise is coming from or is the noise coming from the drive assembly?

Does it move ok by hand through the whole open/close range?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the latch releases and cinches correctly when hand operated and moves thru the entire range easily.The noise is from the latch. The drive assembly does nothing.

The problem is likely with the pawl switch in the latch then. If the liftgate module doesn't see it in the correct state then it won't power open or closed.

Diagnosing the problem will require a scan tool capable of communication with the power liftgate module. Do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can go to Advance or Autozone.

They will have an OBDII code reader but I doubt they will have anything that will communicate with the liftgate module. They may have an actual scna tool you can rent, but you'd want to be sure that it has power liftgate module capability before renting it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll see if I can rent one somewhere and let you know the result.

Great!