Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Several mechanics here in Honoluluhave actually asked me

Customer Question

Several mechanics here in Honoluluhave actually asked me what I expect to be done in a tune up for my 2000 Sebring!?!?! If they areCertified Mechanics shouldn't they know what is included? Anyway, could you give me an idea on what my 2000 Sebring NEEDS to have done during a tuneup? Mileage now is 87k. Driving in Honolulu: 49 miles per day as of Jan 25. Mon-Fri. Winter weather: 80-85• High in daytime 69-75• evening. Spring&Summer 80-102• high daytime; 75-80• evening
Often humid. Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I don't know how to tell you this, but putting aside the probability that those mechanics are indeed as crooked as Quasimodo, the fact is that the term "tune-up" is not something we techs use anymore - haven't since cars became computerized. As a matter of fact, even your car's maintenance manual does not have the term in it.

Using current terminology, your car needs a "Maintenance Service" - please don't laugh, it's just the way it is with cars nowadays.

The knucklehead who asked you what you wanted done should have looked up the items that need maintenance on your car at the mileage that's closest to actual - don't let him touch your car!

Anyways, I've attached the actual maintenance schedule your car is due for at 87K miles - basically a thorough inspection and and oil change. A good technician would also take an additional 10 minutes to check and adjust tire pressure, top-off windshield washer reservoir, check that all exterior lights are in working condition and, finally, make sure your seat belt and horn work properly.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Best Regards.