Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Gh have a friend with a 97 caravan parked it at the store

Customer Question

High John I'm Randy & have a friend with a 97 caravan parked it at the store went in for 10 minutes and then only click when she turns key I arrived it initially started I shut it off and now same thing for me
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad spot in the starter armature, and usuaaly occurs after a hot soak, do you have a test light or a volt meter? I can help you diagnose it,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to look working out of a road bag
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay yeah I have a mulimeter
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, is it dead right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery cable has 12v but the small wire has 0 w/key in the on position
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, now remove the starter relay, and check the socket, pin should have pwoer at all times and one should have power when cranking, do they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking down at the fuse block the starter relay the Front pinion is hot at all times and the pin to the right is hot during cranking
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, on the bottom of the relay, there are numbers stamped into the plastic, by each pin, they are numbered 30, 85, 86 nd 87, doyou see these numbers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also noticed brake lights are staying on and I removed the brake switch
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, in the socket the relay plugs into, can you jumper the 30 and 87, and see if the starter turns over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not I do have a slight spark
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, then you have a bad starter, go back to the starter, and check the small wire for power, when cranking, make sure the relay is reinstalled,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

are you still here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took me a few, trying to get this done with just myself is a well anyway I went ahead and removed the starter did bench test and you were 100% correct. Thank you sir, have a great day weekend
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so i can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to rate e, it is the only way i get paid for helping,Thanks,Tim