Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I have a 2000 Chrystal cirrus that started have electrical

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2000 Chrystal cirrus that started have electrical issues. At first it was just a battery light on and lights flickering randomly, then it started to get worse and started shutting off radio and turning it on again or locking the doors spontaneously while driving. Also lights flicker more when accelerator is pressed. Now it just doesn't start without a jump. Acts like there is no battery, but after i charge it a couple mins with cables it starts and runs albeit a little rough. But if i shut it off it is dead again. Any ideas on what the problem is?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With the engine running and a volt meter connected to the Battery what is the voltage reading. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The battery light is controlled by the alternator and the charge rate is controlled by the PCM (computer) so the first thing you are going to need to do is to check the charging system to see if its charging the battery. Normal charging rate at the battery with the engine running needs to be right at 14 volts. Check this for me and post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tested it and it teads 13.5 -14 on meter. Today it started up without a jump, not sur if warm weather today helped it. But lights still flicker and sounds like a pulley barring is bad
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also no battery light is on at the moment
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay then don replace anything right yet, lets recheck it when the light returns and see if the voltage is the same.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok but what about the lights flickering and the dash blinks out and i can gear a click when it does.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hear*
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
lastnight it acted as if there was no battery and today it seems fine. Also the battery light comes on after driving a bit
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the longer i let it run the more the electrical acts up
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The light can flicker if the alternator is weak and failing as well. If the voltage at the battery holding steady of dose it fluctuate?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's fluctuating between 13 and 14 volts
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When the car is off it is a steady 12 volts on battery
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If its fluctuating with the engine running then the alternator is likely bad, the voltage should hold steady .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, and would the temperature outside affect whether or not it will start? It was a little cold lastnight and today is warm.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Cold weather should not have any affect on a properly working charging system.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
why would a battery act lik it is completely dead one night and read good the next day? I didn't charge it or jump it this morning. It just started up.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If you sure the battery load tests okay and has a full charge then I would suspect you have either a bad connection or there is something drawing it down.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did move it from one parking spot to another lastnight but it was only 100 ft. Also didn't start after i parked it and tried to turn it over.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Like I said, If you sure the battery load tests okay and has a full charge then I would suspect you have either a bad connection or there is something drawing it down.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked the voltage again and it is steady at 14.3 while runni g and 11.9 when not. It i was to check connections and search for shorys where is a good place to start?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If the battery is going dead then you need to perform a draw test. I would also recheck the charging system when the battery light is coming on.