George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 98 Chrysler cirrus front wheel drive 175,000. It

Customer Question

I have a 98 Chrysler cirrus front wheel drive 175,000. It started to make a clunking noise from the right front and then when driving at normal speed and I give it gas it pulls to the right and then back left when I let off the gas. I'm not sure if it's a steering problem (rack & pinion, tie rod) or a driveline problem.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 10 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Something is certainly moving that should have a solid anchor. These have a problem with the mounting bushings needing to be replaced.

Are you able to check for movement with a pry bar and then having a helper stand on the brake and give it a little gas to see what moves?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not right now. So it could be a motor mount?

No, not the motor mount but the bushings the steering rack is mounted to, the control arm bushings or even the wheel bearings can cause the steering/suspension to shift on acceleration. Finding the loose parts will take prying and some careful work inspecting what movement you see (safely as a helper stands on the brakes and gives it a little gas in both drive and reverse.

Please let me know how I can help, if you are not experienced in doing this I suggest you take it to an alignment shop and have them inspect it for you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What parts would I be prying?

Everywhere you see the mounting bushing for the suspension and steering should be stressed to see if the rubber bushing is cracked or has fallen out. they should flex but if you see it move more than just a little it is worn and needs to be replaced. Any rubber that is oil soaked could be the problem. The oil eats the rubber and lets the control arm or steering rack move when torque is applied and that causes the shift and pull.

The tie rod should feel tight at the joint when you rock the steering back and forth, if that joint is loose then the wheel will shift on its own.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you