Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

The reverse lights work on driver and passenger side and the

Customer Question

The reverse lights work on driver and passenger side and the blinkers do too, but the brake light and tail light on the passenger side tail light assembly neither one work. The bulb is good and so is the fuse. What are some possible problems
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you can give me a quick guess i would appreciate it. My wife is afraid to drive and has it apart in a parking lot. Thank you
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I have seen issues with the lamp housing assembly on these vans. It is a broken contact in the unit itself. Do you have a 12 volt test light handy?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

If you do have a 12 volt test light, then ground the light's alligator clip to a good metal ground point on the van's body. Then turn on the left turn signal. Now probe each terminal in that connector at the lamp unit. If the test light blinks, then that proves the lamp unit/housing is bad and will need to be replaced.

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
pretty much if any terminal on the right side lamp housing shows it's getting voltage by blinking when the left side blinker is on, then it means there is a broken terminal in the housing? Remember, both left side and right side blinkers work fine and so do both reverse lights. It's just the right side(passenger) brake/tail light that won't work. How sure would you say you are that it's the lamp housing that is bad? Is out possible that it could be a bad ground or maybe a relay? Can my wife somehow rig it up just for now? Chris i need you to help make me look good in front of the ol lady. Lol. She thinks I'm looking at the wiring diagram and she's waiting on my call! Can you make me look smart? What can i do on the spot? Thanx
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh and I'm not sure about the test light bit it is actually a possibility. If not tho, any other suggestions?
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Oh ok, Sorry. It it is the right side stop and tail lamp. So do your test light check on the right side wires while stepping on the brake and/or turning on the tail lamps. If the light lights, then replace that lamp housing assembly. You can get a cheap test light at the auto parts store for under $10.00. If it were a relay, then the left side would not work. If it were a bad ground, then the right turn signal would not work.

I hope that helps,

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you see the pics I sent? Could it be a broken terminal connection in the wiring harness plug that plugs into the lamp housing itself?