b5demon
b5demon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician with over 17 years in dealer
13235514

, 2004 chrysler town and country limited AWD. 41,000

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2004 chrysler town and country limited AWD. 41,000 miles (actual). It has a slight shudder from 30 mph to 50 mph. almost like going over a soft rumble strip... not severe
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to Just Answer! Where are you feeling the shudder? In the floor etc? Does it go away when you let off the accelerator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shudder is mostly in the seat. It is constant between 20-50 just like a rumble strip. I put the car into neutral at that speed and it was still there, as well as putting it into 3 so it didn't go into overdrive. It doesn't matter if i am coasting or accelerating. It doesn't really seem like a tire is out of balance. I just bought the car.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

a tire out of balance in the rear could cause that so that is the first thing i would have checked. It could also be an issue with the all wheel drive system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried about it being something with the AWD system. Are the extended warranties a good idea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think it could be with the AWD system? Have you seen it before?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Yes the extended warranty would be a great idea the all wheel drive systems are not cheap to repair. We do not see a lot of issues with them but every once in a while one has an issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will do that. I notice there is ATF dripping on the ground in front of the driver side tire. I am guessing this is a transmission cooler line?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

yes that is most likely a trans cooler line in that area

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that an expensive job?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

no the trans cooler lines are not that expensive to replaced. Should be around $200 depending on where you take it to get repaired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another question. The 3.8 is known to burn oil. I don't know if this one uses any, but what is a "normal" amount for it to use before being concerned?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

a quart every 1,000 miles is considered normal oil consumption

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help!
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

No problem let me know if you need any help in the future