b5demon
b5demon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician with over 17 years in dealer
13235514

My daughter has a 2006 AWD Pacifica and when put in reverse

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2006 AWD Pacifica and when put in reverse it's like it's in neutral. No grinding, no problems before this. The button on the shifter doesn't come all the way out in reverse (like park and drive). Tore the shifter down, no issues there. Any thoughts where to look next? All other gears are fine.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to Just Answer! Does the shifter engage park normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep. All gears but reverse work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drives fine too - just reverse is like being in neutral.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Ok the issue is internal to the transmission then. There is a separate clutch for reverse and that does have issues with burning out and causing the transmission to loose only reverse.

Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

The transmission would need to be rebuilt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will all of the sudden just go out without any signs or noise? Is there a place to buy rebuilt transmissions?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

yes then tend to just fail all of a sudden and will not make noise will just feel like it is in neutral. Yes there are lots of places to buy rebuilt transmissions. Any dodge dealer can get and rebuilt transmission and also most transmissions shops ammaco, cotman etc. and also some parts stores like napa.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm an engineer and have worked on all of our cars, including lifters on a 3/4 ton Hemi. How hard is it to remove to have it rebuilt?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

the transmission on those isn't the easiest to get out because you need to drop the subframe out first to get the transmission out

Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need any more help