FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

We just got a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser a week ago. We bought

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** *****, I'm Natalie :) We just got a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser a week ago. We bought it used, but had an independent mechanic check it out and he said it was good...it only came with 1 key and 1 key fob, so yesterday we went to get an extra key made...I started it with the extra key, and seeing it worked, I turned it off, but this morning, it wouldn't work with the original key any more. I mean, the original key started, but the engine wouldn't catch
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, the interior lights all came on, as well as the radio was fine...the starter seemed to be engaging, but the engine wouldn't catch
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The extra key we had made was just from a regular key shop, not Chrysler.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello Natalie, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me if there are any warning lights illuminated on the dash when you are cranking the engine over?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Bobby; yes, first everything seemed normal...interior lights, radio, etc. were all working fine...then a few hours later, the battery light was flashing and now (a few hours after that) the car won't turn on at all.

Do the dash lights come on when you turn the key on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, nothing comes on now. Although, they did come on at first.

Thank you. It sounds like it may be the battery or battery cable. It can also be an ignition switch. Did you plan on trying to fix this yourself? Do you have a voltage meter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, I had just planned on trying to jump it myself (we have 2 cars) and drive it to a mechanic (if it'll work). So you don't think it had anything to do with the security key?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Or, if it did, would the battery dying reset the security lock out from the unauthorized key?

No, if the battery died it wouldn't lose that part of the memory. From what you are explaining I do not suspect a key problem.