sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2002 pt cruiser. Everything was ok except it would

Customer Question

I have a 2002 pt cruiser. Everything was ok except it would not turn over. I had the battery checked and it was good but low on charge. I had it charged and put it back in the car. Still won't turn over and now I have no lights radio fan or power windows. Door locks do work. I am stumped. Any ideas?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have more than one issue going on at the same time. There are many things that will cause a no crank condition such as the starter, cables, the ignition switch actuator pin, or the powertrain control module not being awake, but the other items not working may be a separate problem from the starter not engaging.

Have fuses been checked?

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses have been checked. Fuel pump runs. Car will start with a jump start. I did have power to lights, radio, Windows, fan before removing battery. Now I have nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even with car running I have nothing

You definitely have multiple problems going on. If you have to jump start it then that is being caused by the battery itself or a poor connection.

Has the battery been load tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears to be good. Would the ignition switch cause this? I cleaned both battery cables still won't turn over, or no lights, radio, fan, Windows, sun roof, but door chimes work.

The ignition switch as I mentioned previously could cause part of the problem but if you have to jump start it then you have a battery related issue.

How did you determine the battery is good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would I lose my power windows and radio, fan, by removing the battery? Are there codes I lost? Everything was normal except it would not turn over until I removed the battery.

Unless you blew a fuse because of reversed polarity or improper cable connect technique removing the battery didn't cause the other issues to not work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery will start my ford f150 no problem. I have checked all fuses and replaced battery cables. still have no start or lights, fan windows.

Do the headlamps work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No headlights don't work, or the fan or radio or power windows or turn signals. Door chime does work.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have one

With one meter lead in the center of each battery post (not the terminal), meter set to 20v DC, what does the meter show?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.41

What does it do when the headlamp switch is turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It goes to 12.39. From 12.41

Now move the lead from the positive post to a clean metal part on the chassis. What does it show?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0.2

Will the blower motor turn on?

What does it show with the key on and blower motor on high?

If you move the leads to the positive post and PDC power feed terminal what does it show?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blower motor does not work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the pdc power feed terminal?

It's where the positive cable connects, follow the cable into the PDC and you'll find where it mounts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With key on and blower motor on high it reads 12.20. From positive post to pdc power feed it reads 0.1

With the key held in the crank position how many terminals at the starter relay have voltage, and what voltage do you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to remove the relay? Do I use one lead from meter to the battery?

Yes, you'll have to remove the relay to contact the terminals. One meter lead will need to be grounded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Results were 0.4 to 12.1. All 5 terminals showed power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think?

Can you do the same test with a test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test light only comes on at one terminal. But also on same terminal with key off.

Does a second terminal have power with the key in the crank position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No only one

Is there power on the red wire at the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power at red wire on ignition switch

Is there power on the yellow wire with the key in the crank position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I hook test light to yellow wire and turn the key, the light comes on and then goes out. Did it three times with same results.

You're holding the key in the crank position and the test light turns off without releasing the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's right

You either have a bad ignition switch or broken ignition switch actuator pin. You'll need to remove the switch and inspect the actuator. If it's intact then replace the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the actuator? And if it isn't intact then what?

You'll check it to see if it's broken. If it's broken then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new ignition switch in. Everything works except headlights and tail lights. Wipers turn signals work. Right turn signal is faster than left side.

Can you unplug the multifunction switch and check the connector for heat damage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No heat damage

Do you have power on the two light blue/orange wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power in both

Do you have power on the violet/white wire with the switch plugged in and turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power to violet/white wire

The switch will need to be replaced.