Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Voyager 3.3 auto petrol gone into limp mode? Has brand new

Customer Question

Voyager 3.3 auto petrol gone into limp mode ? Has brand new Varta battery with full charge, fresh oil and filter but plugs are old. Just done 1500 mile round trip with zero problems. Weather has just turned to minus 5 C with snow. Started van and its missing on at least one cylinder. Pulled each HT lead in turn and listened to engine note. The front left pot is not firing. Removed plug and the gap looks big (no feeler guages), put a new plug in the HT lead and tested for spark...no spark....tells me that HT lead is dead or distributor problem ? Put plug back, disconnect battery for 30 mins (while on charge). Reconnected and restarted motor, now it seems to run on 3 cylinders (the back ones) and very rough. I pull a plug to what looks like a block temperature sensor and the motor picks up a bit but still not running on 6. Zero motor problems in 8 years with this van and it is used close to EVERY day, now about 130,000 miles on it.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon..

What P codes are setting in the PCM?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I dont have diagnostic kit. I just saw donT showing on the dash one time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cant tell PCM codes, I dont have a reader and the van is not at a garage.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What are my next best steps ?
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

In order to determine what is going on I will need the codes that are setting.. That will tell me if you have a coil driver, injector driver, and exactly what cylinder is misfiring.. Can you try cycling the key 3 times to see if it will show any codes in the odometer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just tried, it starts on the button but feels like its running on 3 pots. I got P1684 and then donT
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NB I disconnected the battery a couple of hours ago and had it on charge. I see people have the P1684 display when you do that ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the van SAFE to drive in limp mode to a local garage if I keep the revs well down and allow speed to build up slowly. They will have a professional reader / diagnostic kit. Its about*****
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Yes the code means the battery has been disconnected.. And you can drive it as long as the check engine light is not flashing.. If it's flashing the engine is misfiring so bad that your causing damage to your converter and not recommended to drive...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a recommendation for changing plugs on age or miles ? If I change the plugs should I also try to change the leads ? The van is used for day to day running around and normally never goes over 3000 RPM !
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
IF I disconnect what looks like a block temperature sensor the motor def runs smoother ! Whats that about ?
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

The spark plug gap is .030 and recommended service is 30,000 miles.

I would need to know the codes to determine the full extent of your issues to give you an idea on what is going on..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I started off looking for ACTUAL problems based on symptoms. But after a PERFECT*****and the car running PERFECTLY followed by a vicious weather cold snap I cannot believe the plugs / HT leads are at fault or a dropped valve or hole in a piston. It has to be something electrical / sensor as opposed to physical damage. Well thats my take after 5 years kart racing ! https://lauraehren.smugmug.com/
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

The only way I will be able to even get an idea on what is going on is by seeing what codes you have. I would be able to tell you exactly what to check and what happened.. It sounds liek you have a misfire so the only thing you can do is see if the coil and injector driver is getting a 12v and ground pulse with a test light.. But honestly it's much easier and the proper way to diagnose it is by seeing what codes it has..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK thanks I will try and get it to the local garage, I know they have proper test kit.Is there a RESET for limp mode ? or a way to bypass it ? I know its in the design to stop further damage.
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

If you want to post the codes here I will be glad to assist the shop in repairing it..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks Brad, get back to you.
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Ok sounds good..

Have a great evening,

Brad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK the breakdown service have taken it to a local garage. They confirmed it is only running on the rear bank of cylinders. On the dash we have the ENGINE light (not flashing) and an OIL light. All the fluids are topped up. They could not get any codes on their reader ! Will it cut the spark to the front bank of cylinders in LIMP mode ? I just dont want to get a call saying it needs a whole ECU and Distributor and HT leads and plugs it that is a RED HERRING ! Thanks Brad.
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Do you know why that can't retrieve the codes since the check engine light is on and you do have codes? They need to get the codes to determine the root cause of your issues..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to wait on them for an answer.Would it go to 3 cylinders when it goes into LIMP MODE ?Could the catalysator be damaged if it was driven on 3 cylinders, eg to a local garage ? The breakdown guy disconnected the front bank injectors because he said the unburnt fuel would damage the cat. I would have thought it would just burn off.
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Yes anytime the check engine light is flashing, it's doing damage to the converter.. But your priority is the engine and why it's misfiring..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Brad,here is a scan of the error codes from the local garage. Sorry its in German but at least we have the numbers.Fehlercode = ERROR CODEThe guy says it is pointing to an IGNITION COIL, he said about 200 bucks for the part plus 30 mins fitting time.As I said, its a 15 year old van worth very few $ so I dont want to throw BIG money replacing a whole bunch of individual parts UNLESS they REALLY need replacing. You will have come across this scenario a zillion times I guess. A lot of stuff is available on eBay in Europe.Thanks again from a very cold Switzerland,cheers,Kevin
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

The codes you have P0202 and P0206 is Injector #2 and #6 circuits.. The shop will need to verify the injectors has 12v constant and a ground pulse from PCM on the other wire.. If no then check wiring to PCM if good replace PCM.. If you do have 12v and ground pulse then replace the injector..

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Replaced the ignition coil and all fine. Injectors not a problem. It drives perfectly now ;-)
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Glad I could help and thank you again for the positive rating,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Don't forget to rate!!!!