Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager. Last night while going

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager. Last night while going to work I noticed that shifting started to become a little erratic about 7 miles into the drive(highway miles). By the time I got to my destination 30 miles away the car continued to buck and the RPM's went from 2 to 3 1/2 and then back down to 2 and then back to 3 continually. I braked at a Stop sign and when I pressed on the gas to excel forward, the car felt like it wanted to stall for about a half second. The "Check Gages" light flickered a half second as well and then it picked up power again, driving and bucking all the way to my destination. I shut the car off for about 4 hours and got back in my car to drive home. I let the car warm up for about 2 minutes and the second I put it into drive and excelled forward, the bucking started immediately. The Rpm's this time were even more erratic, going from 3 to over 4 and I could only go about 40 miles an hour. I had to drive home like this for another 30 miles. Now here's the strange part. When I turned on to the off ramp of the highway, my car totally stalled out. I rolled a few feet and turned off the car. Thankfully it started right back up, but when I excelled forward this time, the gears shifted like it was a brand new car. Off the start the RPM's went a little over 2 and then shifted normal under 2. It drove normally for the next 2 miles home. I'm at my wits end here since I had the transmission rebuilt last year. It almost seems like there's a definite problem somewhere that's making the transmission slip, but the transmission may not be the problem. I mean, why would the car stall on a turn off the highway and then automatically fix itself when I restart the car?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the tranny fluid and it is clean and full.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One common issue that can cause this here in some cases is a fault with the transmission torque converter or torque converter control/clutch solenoid needing replaced.In allot of cases when a transmission is rebuilt these are left original.I would have both of these checked/tested to see if one is the intermittent cause here as they can cause an intermittent fault including a heavy load on the engine causing a stall out.In most cases it is the torque converter lock up solenoid at fault that causes this here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete