Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

89 Tc,no per at coil or fuel pump .jump to coil pos side and

Customer Question

89 Tc,no per at coil or fuel pump .jump to coil pos side and fuel pump runs
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No power at coil or pump.pump works when jumped at coil.coil cold.unknown if coil got power when jumped,no spark while cranking .check engine light and low pill light on while cranking.oil level is perfect.engine cut off while going 10-15 mph .timing belt is on and was replaced 400 miles ago
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

It's most likely a bad "auto shutdown relay". Have you replaced it yet?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Here is the wiring diagram,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Did you order a relay?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi,did all that befor trying ask me....not the ASD relay.wiyh new relay,.....same.....no power to fuel pump ,efi,or coil.............when i jump coil,,,,12 volts,pumpe comes on.check engine,and low oil comes on while cranking.weve had 12 years ,no problem like this,always serviced,timing belt has 400 miles and totally intact.alsi checked all fusible links next to left shock towe,akk show current before and after joints where soldered together.there is no spark,either while cranking!i can send some pics of fusible areas............frustrating.dont want to leave car at dealer...........
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i wonder if coils little round surpressor is grounding out the coil?or,is there something in distributor that can ground out ,or cause relay asd to not perform,even when new????
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

remove the auto shut down relay and test the prongs in the socket and let me know if there is voltage there to one prong with the key off..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
red wire has voltage when off
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, feel if that relay clicks when you turn the key to run.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
green/black wire lights up only when i take connection to hot side battery,no power to green/black with key on RUN position,
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Does the relay click?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I think it's either going to end up being the ecm, power to it , a ground or the wiring between it at that relay.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i put power to green black i hear a small click tear the turbo area on top..cant reach the both run....ill try this again.......gonna take me 10 minutes to come back to pc......................
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

It appears to be the dark blue/white wire that feeds power to that relay.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok,ecm is in distributtor ?electronic control module?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Yeah, first I need to know if the relay is clicking. I assume it's not but just need to be sure.

If not check for voltage at both ends of that dark blue/white wire when the key is turned to run.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

No, that is the ignition control module, the ecm (engine control module) is the computer.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

the ecm might be right next to the battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where is dk blue/white wire..........the relay has #14 green blk,red,,and 2 #16 wires one is light ble and white.....let me know where the dk blue is and if its a #14 or bigger?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok,going to check it out,car is 500 feet from house ,so ill be back,as Arnold says.....................going to recheck "click" and ecm by battery
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

The wires at the relay are dark blue/white not light blue/white.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Why don't you jump 12 volts to that dark green/black wire for now and drive the vehicle to where you are so you don't have to walk back and forth.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
theres no parking here,but relay does click ign position"run"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the green black over rides the whole ecm relay system ,just like its 1969 again?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

That is good, then you must have a bad dark green/black connection or wire.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where does green black go to??so if relay clicks,then ecm is good,can i stilloverride cars system by jumping green /black wire?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Not for now, cause there appears to be a problem with the dark green/black wire. I know you jumped that wire at the coil and something worked, so disconnect that gray wire at the coil, the dark green/black wire at the auto shut down relay and using an ohmmeter see if that wire is open.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i put test light from pos batt to green wire,i can hear clicking by the turebo area near injectors,does this mean anything?old asd relay
y does not click..........should i pug in again to check spark.Could ecm still be bad anyway?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi ,when in Run position there is power to the relay wires,both blu white #16 wires have power,yes,gree has no pwereven when relay plugged in ...go figure.......i'll look again.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

No, don't plug in the old asd relay.

Yes, you have to test for power to that dark green/black wire when the key is on run.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok,i'll check that one out,........so,...if there is power to gree/black when on run,but it doesn't start,then what?,................back 15 mins
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I don't think there is going to be.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just fyi,when i jumped the pos + coil ,yesterday,again,fuel pimp came on,coil remained cold,not even a little warm ,and car still cranked............no start.that was with new asd relay connected too!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I suspect you had no voltage at the fuel injectors too then. They are all spliced together, the coil, the fuel pump and the fuel injectors and they all get their voltage from that asd relay, so you see if either one or all of them don't get voltage then it won't start.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

So, if you jump voltage to either one, check for voltage to the other 2 and whichever don't have voltage will tell you where the brake in that wire is.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Although technically speaking you should just test for voltage at that dark green/black wire at that asd relay when the key is on run and after you confirm there is voltage there, confirm at those other 3 spots, the coil, the fuel pump or listen if it runs and the fuel injectors, while the key is on run.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok,i'll see.................could be a while....appreciate the help....
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Any news?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Did you give up for today?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Do you still need help on this or did you decide to close out this post?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
still need help,and i'll text you when i can do it ,hopefully mon late or tues early,thabnks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi,coil is good,green/blk wire seems connected.Where does#12 black wire from battery neg side go?pcm ground? I noticed that my2 relays next to the as d are metal casings......and bolts is way loose.??
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

What do you mean the green/black wire seems to be connected? Don't you have a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light? I thought you were already using a voltmeter or test light!

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Tighten them bolts. If you don't have voltage at the dark green/black wire when testing, there is no sense in testing or worrying about grounds, unless you don't have a good ground on the voltmeter/test light. To make sure, ground the tester to the battery negative post, or if you choose to ground it to metal, test the ground by touching the positive battery post with the positive test lead to make sure, before you test anything else.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the injection are gets power and coil too,so looks like grounding possible,the negative battery connection is wiggly and altered,2 relays are loose,bolt had silicone on it #12 negative post auxiliary grnd blk wire has crappy aluminum wiggly connection
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After that,maybe look into distributor pick up?....I'll get back to you.I have regular work so can't spend all time fussing with this car....Thx
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

The fuel pump is most likely grounded back there near the fuel tank, so if you power up that dark green/black wire and the fuel pump still don't run, that would tell me that depending on what that fuel pump grounds to, either the frame or the body, I would say back near the battery, the negative battery post to the body and/or frame s where that problem is and most likely it will have an affect on other grounds. So, let me know if that fuel pump runs or not when that dark green/black wire does have voltage.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Figure it out yet?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Going to look again Saturday.I think it's distributor pick up. .pump works power to injectors,no spark.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

How did you finally get power to the fuel pump?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

After all this time, you are just going to leave me hangin?