sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My name is ***** *****, I have a 2003 Chrysler Town &

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, I have a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country 3.3L motor. It has started stalling out all the time, if you turn it off and back on it will usually restart. I've been reading about the crankshaft sensor and read this article but can't find it. I see the diagram here but it but you can't reach there, do you have to remove the battery and baseplate to get to it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The Tac drops to zero while driving, when it stalls. It has not had a single issue in the last 50,000 miles, it has driven great, until now....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's very possible that the crank sensor is failing and causing the engine to die but it could also be the cam sensor, a wiring issue, the powertrain control module or a lost power or ground to the PCM.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. If the PCM is staying awake through the event then there will be codes set.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The check engine light has been on for a year and it went off right before this happened, I have no way of reading the codes and I think it is to unsafe to drive this vehicle now. I thought I would try the sensors first before having to tow it somewhere. I'm just trying to find that sensor.

Nothing needs to be removed to get to the crank sensor but you won't really be able to see it. If you reach down past the exhaust crossover pipe and follow the bellhousing up to nearly where it meets the engine you'll be in the area. If you look at the back of the trans toward the firewall where the differential section is, the crank sensor is near where the differential section meets the bellhousing, and is nearly at the engine block. It runs off a tone wheel on the flexplate.

If you're unable to find it by hand then you can remove the battery and tray. Once the battery is out there will be one 10mm bolt holding the top of the coolant reservoir to the tray, two 13mm nuts and one bolt holding the battery tray in. This will allow you to get your head deeper into the engine compartment to help see the sensor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's where I've been looking, I'll try removing the battery tomorrow and see if I have any better luck.

That will give you a little more room to see but you'll still have to lean in pretty far to be able to see it and be familiar with it's location.