gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I own a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country. It has 181K miles on

Customer Question

I own a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country. It has 181K miles on it and left cylinder is not performing up to par. One mechanic said I could get another 50K miles out of the motor. Would I be best to swap out the motor or keep running? Mileage is avg. about 19 to the gallon.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Is it misfiring? Engine knocking or anything? What's the condition of the body? I can't imagine that the vehicle will be WORTH 6k after putting 6k in it, so maybe sourcing a junkyard motor with low miles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes the engine thumps when the car is idling. The body is in very good shape.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

50k is a lot of miles- I think i would take the chance, if the problem is not something that shuts the engine down or leaves you stuck on the side of the road. Like I said, no sense in putting more money into the car than you could resell the car for. You may even be able to get a better trade-in value at a dealer, they don't do a diagnosis of your car before offering you a value, just visual only.