AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I am still driving my 2001 Chrysler 300m. I has about

Customer Question

I am still driving my 2001 Chrysler 300m. I has about 116,000 miles on in. In the past 26 months I had a few issues mechanically.
My biggest problem has been the used transmission that was installed. The warranty is 39 months. The car is still within the warranty.
The issues began the day that I picked up the car.
Quick story. The same day I picked up the car I drove about 2 miles I turned the car off for about 15 minutes.
When I came back out it seemed like the battery was dead. We decided to hook-up the battery charger.
Ultimately the battery was not the problem.
What was useful was to step on the brake than put the car in neutral and it started right up. Here I am months later and this is still an issue a few times per month.
On a frustrating note the shop who charged $2,400.00 to install the used transmission coped an attitude when I came back within 2 hours of picking the vehicle up.
Is there a possible connection between the transmission and the neutral switch?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. On your car, the function of the neutral safety switch is actually performed by a transmission range sensor which is an integral component of the transmission, so when your used transmission was installed, a used and likely bad TRS was installed right along with it.

The TRS is replaceable though. It requires removal of the fluid pan and valve body in order to access it.