Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire and the top just stop

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire and the top just stop working properly . It operates properly until the same wing that should extend out to close the trunk properly are not moving out so they will not allow the trunk to latch . These little wings stay under the trunk lid and will not allow the trunk to latch. ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I am trying yo put the top down it operates normally until the trunk is suppose to cover the top. there are two small metal pieces that are under the trunk and are suppose to extend out and cover some of the open area and also extend out to let the trunk latch. these wings are not moving and not allowing the trunck to latch ***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have 45 minutes before I have to leave ***** *****
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay and am posting as soon as I saw your question myself.

What will cause this fault here that I have seen several times before in the past needing replaced is a faulty micro switch.The roof uses micro switches to send signal on what position the roof components are in while the roof is in operation.If one or more of these switches are not sending a signal this can stop the operation or stop certain components with the roof system from operating causing this fault here.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.This needs done with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair or replace the faulty micro switch.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete Thanks for the answer but I could use more info. I'm in Hawaii where the dealer is expensive and bad. Do you have a schematic of the convertible top operation? It appears that a micro switch is not stopping any operation. It looks to me like the last part of the procedure is that these two small wings come out from under the truck covering. They are connected to something with cables. I need to find out what they are connected to, i.e. Just a mechanical cable or is it a small electrical motor which drives them out. This appears to be a mechanical malfunction and not one connected to a micro switch otherwise the operation would stop. The top goes all the way down but since these little wings have not extended out flat the top will not go down far enough to lock closed Dan
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately my info isnt showing me the diagrams of these cables here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I fixed the problem. Since I didn't have a diagram I just used my nose and followed the source of the problem. The little wings are only connected by steel cables to the top. I took some oil and lubricants do the cables. That appears to have fixed the problem. Dan
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete