Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

2004 PT Cruiser Manual Transmission, no start, no crank.

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Your PT might have a broken ignition switch actuator pin. It sits between the ignition lock cylinder and the actual ignition switch providing the link between key twist and what makes it to the switch. When the actuator breaks, you'll typically have enough function left to turn the cluster on, but it won't move far enough to engage the starter. If checked directly at the ignition switch, the yellow wire will be lacking a voltage output when asked to start.

In the not-so-distant past, replacement of this tiny part required purchase of an entire steering column. NAPA was kind enough to supply the part in the aftermarket and now Mopar Parts (factory stuff) finally made the part available. I'll shoot you a link to NAPA if for no other reason to show you what the part looks like and give you a feel for what it looks like and costs. Labor is extra, of course, so expect it to run another $100 or better to replace if sent to a repair facility.

http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=NDP6201414_0423398322

Ed

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can do most work myself but, I'll be checking to see if thats the issue this week sometime, is there a way I can talk to you specifically?

Oh sure.

You can reply on this thread any time or there's a live phone call option that you may see displayed on your screen. If it doesn't come up and you'd rather talk, I can initiate it from here.

I have to play the probability card of course, so I figure the broken actuator is the most likely cause for your problem. If only everything worked like this, life would be great, but other scenarios are possible, of course. In the meantime, try any other ignition keys that are programmed to your PT to see if it makes any difference. A flashing red "dot" in the cluster indicates an immobilizer problem and if none is seen, it strongly suggests a broken actuator pin.

See you soon,

Ed

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if the immobilizer does come up what would be the next step??

It does get complicated.

Let's see what happens with your extra keys first and whether you have a blinking red dot with the key on. I'd rather not type out every possibility before we know what we're dealing with.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you very much sir

Glad to help. See you tomorrow or will you get back to me tonight?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tomorrow

Sounds good. Have a great night!