Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible 2.5 v6. It died

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible 2.5 v6. It died on my wife. We were not getting spark so we replaced the crankshaft sensor, the distributor and the alternator. None of these corrected the issue so I saw that the timing belt was chunked up on the back of it and thought it jumped time so I replaced the timing belt and it is still turning over but not starting. It sounds like it is trying to, but it's not. At red lights before it died it would sometimes die and start right back up and the oil light would come on until you turned on the air or gave it some gas. One time when trying to start it, my wife said the dash read "no bus" also when I turn it back and forth 3 times the check engine light blinks 1,2,4 55
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse, proper fuel pressure and good compression. In order to know what need to be diagnosed we need to start with checking each one of these things and see which one you are lacking. It would also be helpful if you can scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. Post back with the results and we can work from there to try and determine the cause.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When we diagnosed the computer system there was no code that came up. There is a trouble code that came up one time that said " no bus" and when we turn the key 3 times the check engine light blinks one time, two times, five times, four times then five times twice.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Ok so when it will not start are you loosing spark , injector pulse or fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure I'm going to have to see, how do I check spark, and pulse?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

You can check for spark by removing one of the spark plug wires and holding it close to a known good ground and crank the engine over. If you have spark you should see a nice blue spark jump to ground. To check injector pulse, take a standard 12 volt test light and place the test end on the power supply wire at any one of the injectors and the ground end on the other wire and then crank the engine over. If you have pulse the light will flash.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have spark and compression but it is backfiring when we try to start it and I think when I put the timing belt on, I did not properly align the timing marks
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

You may be right if its backfiring, Go back in ans recheck the belt alignment.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It still is not working. And when I give it staring fluid it backfires. The code that blinks Is still 125455 and sometimes it says no bus when you try to start it. Timing is aligned but I can't find any broken connection except a 1" grounding ribbon that I tried to replace with the only ones I could find which are smaller than the original. I will get the exact one and try to replace that but I already replaced the crankcase positioning sensor and the distributor
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The code you have listed are not valid fault codes, to retrieve valid fault codes you need to connect a scan tool to the data link connector.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes come up with the diagnostic tool because the check engine light is not on. The code I am telling you about is the check engine flashing that many times when you turn the key to run 3x
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately I don not have any information on this type of codes if in fact they are codes. I will open the post back up for you and hopefully someone else may have something new to offer.