rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Engine light was on, indicated a spark plug on Cylinder 3,

Customer Question

Engine light was on, indicated a spark plug on Cylinder 3, when mechanic checked it, started car up again, it threw out sparks, then won't start, computer was not giving the correct instructions to various parts of the engine. I'm waiting for another mechanic to check the computer...
BY the way, when I drove the car to the shop, it spurted a bit, but then drove just fine, can the computer just go like this, or is it something the mechanic did when checking the spark plug? This is a PT Cruiser 2004, without automatic trans, have kept this car in good shape with this mechanic
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The codes that are set don't necessarily specify a spark plug, but a misfire in that cylinder instead, which can also include a coil, wire, vacuum leak in that cylinder, injector or low compression too.

Thanks, Ron