sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My brake light is staying on. Checked brakes, fluid level,

Customer Question

My brake light is staying on. Checked brakes, fluid level, emergency brake switch, master cylinder switch. Can't figure it out
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The red brake warning light will come on for the emergency brake, low fluid level, or if the ABS module commands it to. A failed switch or circuit issue with the level switch or emergency brake switch will cause it also. You may have a wiring issue or the ABS module may be commanding it on. I've seen cases of something foreign such as a coin falling into the switch and causing the light to come on.

How were the switches checked?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We physically disconnected both switches.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also my car doesn't have abs

Disconnecting the level switch will turn the light on no matter what. Did you disconnect it, saw that the light stayed on and assumed that ruled out the switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Have you checked the emergency brake switch circuit for continuity to ground?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did. While the car is park if I pull the emergency brake lever there is no change, but if I leave the emergency brake engaged and shift the car into drive the light starts to flash. Alerting me that the emergency brake is engaged and the car is in gear.

Checking the circuit for continuity to ground involves removing the center console for access, unplugging the switch and using a digital voltmeter to see what resistance the circuits shows to ground.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could the airbag light be affect this at all? It is also on. We hooked a OBD diagnostics computer up to it and it is saying that the air bag module has lost communications to a number of systems that aren't even on the car i.e. heated seats, rain sensors, etc.?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can send a picture of the diagnostics screen if that would help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We originally thought the airbag sensor was on due to the front bumper being off. ( the bumper was pulled off by a concrete parking stop block)

The airbag light will be unrelated if it doesn't have ABS. Can you upload the picture and also send the VIN?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
VIN 3A4FY58B46T269405I'm waiting to get access to the diagnostics computer should be about an hour

Not a problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We checked the ground continuity on both switches today and they both showed continuity.

Can you explain exactly how the tests were done and where the meter leads were placed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could a bad clock spring being causing this issue?

The clockspring isn't related to any of the systems involved.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The sensor for the brake fluid reservoir shows ground continuity however there's no power going to the green wire.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry I meant no volts

I need to know exactly how testing was done at both switches. Were the switches plugged in or unplugged, where meter leads were placed, what setting on the meter was used, and what the readings were.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We just used a test light to test if the wire was receiving volts. We attached the clip to a grounded bolt in the engine compartment and stuck the probe in the switch. No light came on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The emergency brake switch is definitely good

What testing was done at the emergency brake switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, the master cylinder reservoir switch

You said the the emergency brake switch is definitely good. I asked what testing was done to prove that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I engage the parking brake and put the car in drive the light flashes if I disconnect the switch it stops flashing while the car is in drive
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
http://m.carcomplaints.com/Chrysler/PT_Cruiser/2006/seat_belts_air_bags/air_bags.shtml

I had forgotten that you had mentioned in the middle of the thread that the airbag light was on also. Did you find out what codes were set in the airbag module?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried multiple times to upload the pictures through this website and it won't let me upload it

You should be able to upload by clicking the paperclip icon in the toolbar.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I finally Jay had to take it to the dealer. It was a bad connection in the TIPM.