AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

2007 chrysler sebring 2.4l. The fuel pump connector issue.

Customer Question

For the 2007 chrysler sebring 2.4l. The fuel pump connector issue. Do you have to replace the fuel pump and connector or just the pig tail? I don't want to remove anything and be stuck with an issue that would have to wait days to receive the part. I would like to order what I would need and Send back if not needed
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. On your car, the fuel pump connector plugs directly into the fuel pump. the fuel pump doesn't have a wire lead, so you do not have to replace your fuel pump if you have a damaged connector. Was that what you were wondering?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was researching on similar issue with idle and stalling issue during humid weather. You had mentioned on a previous customer that the connect could be damaged. And a burn hole in the fuel pump body. So my concern is, once I look to inspect this part, if the connecter is damaged, will I have to replace the pump and connector? Or just the connector

Ok. I dont recall mentioning that to a previous customer, so was maybe another tech, but anyway if you are having problems with stalling and rough idle in humid weather, I would not suspect a faulty fuel pump connector. I would suspect a bad ignition coil or some other ignition component. This is only an issue during high humidity?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct

Ok. I don't think your problem is the fuel pump. It sounds like a misfire most likely from a cracked or otherwise damaged coil or coil boot. Have you been able to scan the computer for any codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car shows no engine light currently. I still need to run a scan to determine any stored codes. But yes, the problem is only during humid weather and is fine while underload, just stalls when coming to a stop or taking off. It stumbled. I assumed it was ignition related til I saw a similar case from another customer who said the fuel pump was a common issue with these cars. I plan on making a thorough inspection of the ignition system tomorrow.

yea. check it out good. Use a spray bottle and spray a mist of water at the coils with the engine running, preferably when it's dark so you can see any arcing.

Did you find the problem?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I inspected all the ignition componets, no issues. Plugs are good, wires in good condition. Going to try and run a fuel treatment through it, seafoam the intake and clean the injectors. Hopefully that'll help. No codes, none stored. Thinking it could fuel related perhaps. Thoughts?

It can't hurt, but if it's only when it's very humid outside, it's usually ignition related. I assume you had the engine running when you were spraying the water at the ignition components?. At any point, did you spray anywhere in particular that caused the engine to run poorly? even if you didn't visually see sparking? This is how we usually diagnose issues like the one your having.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No areas of concern. Im wondering if it could be the upstream o2 sensor? Moisture getting into the sensor and leaning out the fuel maps and stalling it out. Or enriching it.

I don't think so. Oxygen sensors are subjected to condensation on a regular basis. What happened to make you suspect the upstream o2?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing. Just trying to weigh out my options.

Oh, alright. I am reasonably sure it's an ignition component. Have you tried to unplug the coil wires and plug them back in one at a time until you get to one that makes no difference in the way the engine is running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's no miss fire. Engine only stalls when at a stop, coming to a stop, or taking off from a stop. Engine runs fine in neutral, only have this issue when under a load. I do not suspect the issue coming from an individual coil being completely bad. It only a problem during humid or wet weather. Engine runs smooth otherwise.

Im sorry. I thought it ran poorly and stalled all the time when it was humid outside. I misread your much earlier statement. I will open this up in case someone who has experienced this before can give you their advice.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm leaning towards condensation build up in the fuel lines because of the humid weather, causing the engine to choke.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is apparently a recall in regards ***** ***** tpms. Anot unused connector that may corrode and cause these symptoms. I looked up the vin, this vehicle is not covered, however do you know where these unused sensors would be so I can inspect them?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Unused connectors** not sensors

There is a recall for the TPMS, I can email all the information in a PDF to you which includes the repair procedure, location of the trouble area and recommend repair as an additional service for 5.00 if you want. that's the lowest amount they allow. Let me know if you are interested. Its basically what the dealer would be using to address the issue.

and, you are correct in that it does come with some drivability symptoms.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Perfect. How to I go about paying for this?

I will submit an offer. after you click to accept it you will see an area to enter your personal information. enter in your email and i will email them to you right away.

The system won't allow me to do this for some reason. Never encountered this problem before. Give me just a minute.

Ok. Something is wrong with the system today, so I will post the information right here. Please save it or print it. Thanks and remember to rate me so I can get credit. Thanks again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nysh0hcuiyjmgkl/recall.pdf?dl=0

this is what you were referring to, right?