bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

My 1999 chysler will sometimes not iopen when I click the

Customer Question

my 1999 chysler will sometimes not iopen when I click the fob also same with ignition. last time it was my key fob battery, could that be the same thing. my battery is only 2 and a half year old. thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

the battery in your fob is designed to last 6months to 1 year so at 2.5 years you are certainly at the end of the battery's life and batteries are cheap so the FIRST thing to do is replace the batteries in your remote(s) and see if that solves your problem, if NOT then you WILL need a new remote, and it WILL need programming at a shop that has the ability to program keys and remotes, remember your remote is 16 years old if it is the original one and they were designed to last 8 to 10 years as they get very heavy use and do wear out, no matter where you go for keys they are NOT cheap and 50 to 100 dollars is the running price if you have the fat grey key which has a chip in it and it MUST be programmed to the car just like a remote, most times there is a labor fee to do this usually 1/2 hours time max many times less but these keys are designed to last 10 years as well and many last the life of the car, the chip key has a life span just like anything on your car and 16 years is excellent

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** this be why we turn the key and nothing happens then seconds later we turn key and car starts
Expert:  bill replied 11 months ago.

NO that is a completely different problem, if it were a key problem the red or amber security warning lamp would be flashing and tje car would start for 2 seconds then shut down, it SOUNDS LIKE a starter motor failing which WILL cause the starting problem you have but remember i am not there to inspect the car and can only give a educated guess based on your info