Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair. Chrysler Certified
24034660

Etc light comes on with esp light as I am driving. Turn car

Customer Question

Etc light comes on with esp light as I am driving. Turn car off, it starts fine, then it's pretty consistent that a couple minutes after startup, the engine burps a little, the same lights come on, and idles rougher
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 11 months ago.

Ok, Your check engine light comes-on along with the engine tends to burp/ sputter/miss, and then also the ESP light, This is very common to a bad coil pack boot, or a bad spark-plug, (see what happens, Is when the boot on the bottom of the coil pack gets a burn spot or a crack or water intrusion, it will cause this condition. When the check engine light comes-on it will also cancel out Skid control, You need to have the spark-plugs and coil boots checked/ also when they scan test the vehicle, they sould also see if 1 of the coil packs have become damaged. Thanks, ***** ***** me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue! And Have a Merry Christmas!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay - but the electronic throttle control light comes on, the red lightning bolt. This is just immediately after the egr valve has just been replaced. Ran good for about 20km, then the red lghtnint bolt came on (I think it goes into limo mode?).
Coolant was at the minimum, so I topped it up, same problem. I need to go on the road in about an hour - anything else I can try without taking it into the dealer or parts shop?

OK, So you are getting ETC with bolt, Take a good look under the hood and see if they got the connection pushed into the throttle acturator they may has not make a good connection!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yup that was good and tight

Ok, Then you need to remove both battery cables from battery, (make sure you cover the pos. connection at the battery ) And then touch both cables together Make sure key is out of ignition, This will cause a reset of the computers (also resets the throttle acturator ) just make sure that you dont allow the cables to touch the battery posts when doing this, Touch together for about 30 seconds, then reconnect to battery posts and road test to perform a rosd test

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Almost got it. Reset the system, started normally, took it on the road for a bit, drive smooth and fine...one red light it was idling a bit rough. Drove back home, and sat idling smoothly for another 5 minutes, then while sitting there idling, it turned over, got rough, and the red lightning bolt came back.

Then you have a bad wiring connection to the throttle acturator, or a bad acturator assembly First make sure all wires going into the connector are seated in correctly, and also give a little pull on each of the wires to make sure that the wire strands are not broken inside the insulation (when slightly pulling on the wires 1 at a time ) if one feels like a rubber band then the wire strands inside the insulation are broken, Not making connection!If these test good. Then you will have to replace the acturator (throttle body) Thanks, ***** ***** Merry Christmas!