Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

2005 Chrysler Pacifica. Won't start. Key turns all the way

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. Won't start. Key turns all the way to start, but seems to be blocked from turning all the way. Interior and dash light illuminated. No crank. Feels like key is locking before full motion. Steering wheel not locking. Shifter able to go through all gears and back to park no problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Won't start. Key turns all the way to start, but seems to be blocked from turning all the way. Interior and dash light illuminated. No crank. Feels like key is locking before full motion. Steering wheel not locking. Shifter able to go through all gears and back to park no problem.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. So are you pretty sure that the key does not feel as though it is moving completely to the start position?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Very sure. Been turning it for over 4 years now. It's locking just short of "Start".
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok thanks. This is an issue with the ignition lock cylinder assembly and/or the switch itself. I recommend replacing both. I have seen issues where the tab that the cylinder lock connects to the switch breaks and damages the ignition switch. Replace both and you should be good to go.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What's causing it to lock short? Could it be an anti-theft issue, or even a problem with the key?
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

No neither. It is the lock cylinder mechanism or the ignition switch itself. The switch attaches to back of the lock mechanism. I recommend replacing both.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will I need to have it re-keyed to fit my key, and will re-programming of anything be necessary?
How difficult of a job is this? Would you have step by step instructions available by chance?
If I decided not to do this myself, would it be better to take it to a mechanic, or a locksmith?
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

You should be able to swap your lock cylinder and tumblers into the new lock mechanism so no need to rekey it. I think I can find the instructions and if so willsend them to you. If you decide to have someone else do this, I recommend that you have a mechanic who is familiar with the vehicle do this. Not a lock smith.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

I just looked for the procedure, but the Chrysler website that has the procedure is down at the moment. As soon as it is back up I will try again.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

The site is now back up and below is a link with the procedure. Copy and paste that link into your browser's address bar and hit enter to see the procedure. I hope this helps!

Chris.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn5vlf68fy9siu8/CS%20ign%20switch.doc?dl=0

.